вторник, 7 июня 2011 г.

Mary Alice Stephenson for A MODELS.COM INTERVIEW


   Mary Alice Stephenson is on the pulse of fashion’s new direction; as a stylist, television commentator, spokesperson and consultant, she bridges the gap between the red carpet, editorial pages, fashion television and social media all while carving out her own unique path. With the growing need for chic perspectives outside the realm of fashion, Mary Alice has found a way to infuse her passion for beauty and fashion through work for companies as diverse as Harper’s Bazaar, Estee Lauder, Intel, Sally Hansen, Warner Brothers, Amazon, Talbots and USA Networks and as a commentator seen on CNN, Good Morning America, Oprah and The Early Show just to name a few.

   MDC: How did you get your start?
   Mary Alice: I grew up in Michigan, I didn’t know anyone in the fashion business; when I was 15 I had this little Harper’s Bazaar purse and I said, “I’m going to be the fashion editor of Harper’s Bazaar.” Lucky for me, I had a mother and father who taught me anything was possible and supported my dreams. I started as a magazine baby; my career began at 22 working at Vogue then it was off to Allure. I went from there to being fashion director at Marie Claire, then fashion director at Harper’s Bazaar and I’m still a contributing fashion editor at Harper’s Bazaar, so I really paid my dues at magazines on all levels. It was such an honor working for great editors like Glenda Bailey, Anna Wintour, Polly Mellen, Liz Tilberis and Linda Wells and I essentially grew up in the fashion business with these women as my mentors, but after 15 years working for magazines I sensed that the dynamic in fashion was changing. I wanted to do other things too and after all that time it just wasn’t quite enough for me somehow, so I stayed on as a contributor at Harper’s Bazaar, and started my own company. ...

   ... MDC: What have you learned from working with real women?
   Mary Alice: When you really get out of our high-fashion bubble and go into the real world, you understand how much women want, need and love the world of fashion when it is brought to them in a trusted way that makes sense in their lives. When I go speak in cities like Boston, Chicago, Detroit, women love the glamour and the fantasy of the fashion life I have led but it’s that I can curate that world for them that makes it more even exciting to them. There is so much information and so many options out there and women don’t have time to sift through it all. I do and convey what products they need to know about and how to work it into their busy lives. They don’t just want the ‘everything is fabulous you look gorgeous darling’ take on it all. They want someone to tell them when something does not look good, when it isn’t worth their time and money and what they should invest and indulge in….they want the real deal, someone they can trust and believe in. The truth is that when you are working with real women they have all gone through the highs and lows of life. It is inspiring to dress a real woman because I can really see how fashion can be a momentary reprieve from the difficult things in their lives. It feels good to help someone gain their self-esteem back with fashion after going through an illness or tough time in their lives. Fashion should have a happy, feel good affect not the opposite. Although I adore working with models, have had many beautiful experiences with many of them, it is real women that make fashion a soulful endeavor for me. ...

   ... MDC: Do you have advice for those young people just starting out?
   Mary Alice: Be prepared to work. I achieved my dream of being a fashion director by the age of 35 because I put my career first and made a lot of personal sacrifices. A lot of people want to work in fashion because they think it’s all glamour and parties and fun: they have no idea! You can achieve great things in this industry, but you have to be constantly focused on the goal and be prepared to work all hours and give 100 percent. Sometimes we get interns wobbling into my studio in their platform Zara or H&M shoes…they can barely walk and it’s like “honey, go get your tennis shoes on and put that mini dress back in the bag. Get your jeans and t-shirt cause it’s not time to look pretty and do nothing, it’s time to work!”

   MDC: Why do you think major corporations are so intrigued with fashion right now?
   Mary Alice: ...  I think the way fashion is viewed has changed, it is taken more seriously now by women of a certain age and career status. They no longer have to play down their femininity to be taken seriously. Fashion that was once seen as frivolous to some women is now much more important to them. They seem to understand now more than ever before that you can be glamorous, you can have an individual flare, while still retaining your authority. They finally are getting that fashion can be embraced at all ages and sizes and that as a woman you can take chances, be your most feminine, indulge in fashion and play with the way you look and yet still be viewed as serious, powerful and intelligent. ...

Click HERE to see more.

Комментариев нет:

Отправить комментарий